Monday, January 17, 2011

PIE!?!

What is more American then apple pie? Not much. I made two apple pies today because I wanted pie. Apple Pie is rather simple and quick. Ready?
 This is about 10lbs of apples. I just gave them a quick rinse so I would have a semi clean surface to work with.
 Those who are sensitive should be careful about the next picture...it could be a bit shocking. 
 Turn away children...it is a naked apple. 
 SHOCKING!
 Oh goodness a whole clan of naked apples!! 
 Cut the apples into slices and remove the middle bits or core. Those bits are not tasty at all. 
 That lovely bowl again. 
Forgive the fact that I forgot to take pictures. I just added a ton of cinnamon, lemon juice or sour salt and a truckload of sugar. If you want to add some other spices go ahead but we do just plain cinnamon.
 Now for the crust. This recipe has been in the family for at least 4-5 generations so it has to be good. This is freshly sifted all purpose unbleached flour.
 Celtic Sea Salt again. 
 One pound of butter. If I was using the crust for say pot pies I would use half butter half shorting. But since this is a dessert I am using all butter. I am staying old fashioned and so called artery clogging.
 Oooohhhh yessss look at all that lovely butter. 
 Mix until crumbly. Not little crumbles but large crumbles. More hazelnut sized then pea sized crumbles.  
 Put eggs, water and vinegar in a well in the middle and slowly mix the dry into the wet. 
 Mix by hand so the dough does not get tough. Nothing is worse then tough pie dough which does not yield flaking crusts. 
 Place into a ball and place in the fridge for about 30 mins or until you are ready to use it. It needs to firm up a little so you can roll it out.
 
 Cut a lump out and slightly roll it into a ball. This makes rolling a circle much, much easier. Do this on a lightly floured surface. LIGHTLY being a key word. We do not want dry, tough crust.
 Roll out thin but not so thin it makes holes. 
 Fold in half and 
 place in pie pan. 
 Spoon in your filling. Make sure you drain the juice off. Juice makes the pie too runny. 
Roll out another bit of dough and place onto of the apples on top of which you have placed several pats of butter. 
Crimp and trim the edges. See Chicken Pot Pie for directions. 
 Bake in the oven until golden brown. At this point the camera battery croaked & I could not show anymore.
This was taken with my cell. This is another apple pie with a crumb topping. The topping is made with butter (yes again with the butter), flour and brown sugar. This bakes into a topping that tastes slightly of caramel.

1 comment:

  1. Lauren -

    I am so glad that you made crumb topping - it is my favorite!

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete